Tuesday 27 September 2011

Glastonbury....what's next?

So 1st 'real' blog, nothing amazingly exciting has happened in the last couple of days so thought i'd kick off with a subject close to my heart. Glastonbury.



I've been making the yearly pilgrimage down to Worthy Farm, in Pilton, Somerset for as long as I care to remember, to the extent I know every back road around and about the way to get in and out quick, handy! I've been there when it's been too hot (how is that possible I hear you ask, trust me it was!), too cold, too wet, too windy, you get the jist. But what i'm curious about is where it will go next? With a year off next year, very nicely timed by Mr Eavis to coincide with my traveling, they're going to need to come back with bang.

How? I hear you cry! For those of you that have been you'll know the place is the size of a small Town and anything you see no matter how strange, just seems normal if it happens there. From an underground Piano bar, to going down a rabbit hole to find Craig Charles DJ'ing, to stumbling upon a fire breathing giant stage or playing the worlds largest game of twister. Nothing ceases to amaze you at this place.



Every year it gets bigger, and some argue not always better. I'm not sure I agree with this. I manage to stumble (stumble very much being the operative word) upon something new every year, they're constantly looking to break down the boundaries of what's possible, in order to do this, it has to expand. That's what keeps people like me coming back year after year. This brings me onto the the mix of people, which always interests me in that this seems to be the only festival that i've been to that has a sort of 'cult' following, people come back year on year to find these little gems in a corner of a field they've never quite got to before (too much Brother's Cider no doubt). In order to keep these people coming, they need to continue innovating to keep them happy! There's always going to be the folk that come purely for the music, personally I think if you go only for this and don't see anything else you're only exploring a fraction of what it has to offer.

Music wise I think 2013 needs to be a bit of a 'Jay-Z' year. A year of new headliners that nobody is expecting, then probably one massive seasoned act that have done it before. As i said, for me this is not what it's about, but I reckon this would definitely entice a new wave of punters who will hopefully return off the back of it. Let's face it, bands will be knocking their door down to do this one, I reckon they can take their pick.

Will I be visiting in 2013? COURSE I WILL! For me 2013 will be the year of the Tipi, fed up of tents. Should add a new dimension.

Anyway there's a fair bit to do before then so lets wait and see what Mr Eavis comes up with.

I'll leave you with one of my favourite pictures of this magical place. For those that have never been before, I can only urge you to take the plunge and give it a go. It truly is a magical place.


No comments:

Post a Comment